Rebuilding ghc

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:37:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Dominic Steinitz
<dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> From the above error, I suspect that you need to run "make distclean"
>> in the root of the source tree, then try building again.  (I usually
>> run that command every time before/after pulling from darcs.)
>>
>> Let me know if that helps,
>> -Judah
>>

> Ok but doesn't that rebuild everything not just the bits that have changed?

Correct.  Ideally, the makefiles would be able to detect any changes
after a pull, but in practice I've found that they get easily
confused.

Incidentally, if you haven't already, you can make each build much
faster by adding a mk/build.mk file as in:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Hacking

-Judah