bindist for Intel MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) with static libs

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Thu Jan 17 12:05:56 EST 2008

Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>>> for me, GMP is much more problematic issue. strictly speaking, we
>>> can't say that GHC is BSD-licensed because it includes LGPL-licensed
>>> code (and that much worse, it includes this code in run-time libs)
>
> Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>> ..binary distributions of GHC that include libgmp.a and statically
>> link it into compiled code...  All
>> that is needed to make this legal is to (a)...
>> (b) give users access to another version of
>> the proprietary program that links GMP dynamically.
>
> Wow, I didn't realize that. Now I understand Bulat. In a
> project of any serious size and complexity, the use
> of static or dynamic linking is often architechted in and
> cannot be changed.

(b) is a sufficient condition, but not necessary; there are other ways
to satisfy the license.  It's also possible to just distribute, for
example, the .o file(s) and a way to link them with a GMP to get the
final result; this doesn't even reveal your source-code any more than
your program being dynamically linked, at least if you do it right -- right?

~Isaac