bindist for Intel MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) with static libs

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Thu Jan 17 11:10:54 EST 2008

Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> ..binary distributions of GHC that include libgmp.a and statically
> link it into compiled code...  All
> that is needed to make this legal is to (a)...
> (b) give users access to another version of
> the proprietary program that links GMP dynamically.

Wow, I didn't realize that. Now I understand Bulat. In a
project of any serious size and complexity, the use
of static or dynamic linking is often architechted in and
cannot be changed. So LGPL is really bad for a general
purpose compiler like GHC. We've got to make GMP
optional, or get rid of it.

-Yitz