problem with GHC installaion on x86_64

Yu Di diyu60607 at
Wed Jan 9 09:43:58 EST 2008

Hi, I found the RHEL4 souce and binary RPMs from, however, I do not have root privileges on the machine and therefore the installation attempts all failed (for binary RPM, it says can't create transaction lock /var/lock/rpm/transaction, for source RPM, it says cannot write to %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES). Also, I currently have no access to any machine on which there is a working ghc installation so I can't even try the nonregisterised bootstrapping procedure. What should I try now? Thanks!

Di, Yu

----- Original Message ----
From: Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at>
To: Yu Di <diyu60607 at>
Cc: glasgow-haskell-users at
Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:07:16 PM
Subject: Re: problem with GHC installaion on x86_64

Yu Di wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to use ghc on a 64-bit machine (uname -a shows: Linux
> ... 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 16:36:54 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64
> x86_64 GNU/Linux),

Since you're using RHEL4, you could try grabbing a GHC source RPM for
Fedora and building that.  It might take a bit of tweaking, but
very little.  (For instructions on building binary RPMs from source,
Google around.)

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ