GHC 6.8.1 port on FreeBSD-amd64?

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Sun Jan 6 13:01:37 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 05:20:18PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> > I see nearly the same problem with ghc-6.8.2 on OpenBSD, using the
> > gcc-3.3.5 included in its base system.
>
> Presumably this also happens if you do a normal build with -fvia-C, i.e.
> it's not specific to building from an HC file bundle?

That's right, it's just -fvia-C that triggers the bug.

> > [1] BTW: what's the point of using -fasm with -keep-hc-files? IMHO,
> > it should be -fviaC -keep-hc-files. Someone let me know if I should
> > correct this in the wiki.
>
> GHC will act as if -fvia-C is given if -keep-hc-files is given. It
> would be nice to update the wiki to say -fvia-C rather than -fasm to
> avoid confusion, though.

Done.

> > ps: yes, I'm slowly trying to bring HC bootstrap back to work. It's
> > a must-have for the OpenBSD port.
>
> Note that there is a plan to drop the registerised via-C way of
> compiling GHC at some point, so this isn't going to work in the long
> term (unless you want to bootstrap via an unregisterised compiler).

I think I'll be happy with unregisterised bootstrap, too, even if
the actual build of the port will take longer.

> Would it not be possible to have a ghc-bin package in OpenBSD, which
> contains a precompiled binary that can be used to compile a ghc source
> package? I think Gentoo does something like that.

AFAIK, FreeBSD does it in a similar way. However, this isn't the
way we do ports for OpenBSD, so I'll work towards the unregisterised
bootstrap.

Ciao,
	Kili