GHC 6.8.1 port on FreeBSD-amd64?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Jan 6 12:20:18 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:54:45PM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> [Note: already shortly discussed with Wilhelm]
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 12:30:06PM +0000, Wilhelm B. Kloke wrote:
> > > ../../compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -package-name unix-2.2.0.0 -hide-all-packages -i -idist/build/autogen -idist/build -i. -Idist/build -Iinclude -#include "HsUnix.h" -#include "execvpe.h" -odir dist/build -hidir dist/build -stubdir dist/build -package base-3.0.0.0 -package directory-1.0.0.0 -O -XCPP -XForeignFunctionInterface -idist/build  -H32m -O0 -fasm -Rghc-timing -keep-hc-files -O -c dist/build/System/Posix/Process.hs -o dist/build/System/Posix/Process.o  -ohi dist/build/System/Posix/Process.hi
> > > Prologue junk?:         .type   s32x_ret, @function
> > > s32x_ret:
> > >         pushl   %ebp
> > >         movl    %esp, %ebp
>
> I see nearly the same problem with ghc-6.8.2 on OpenBSD, using the
> gcc-3.3.5 included in its base system.

Presumably this also happens if you do a normal build with -fvia-C, i.e.
it's not specific to building from an HC file bundle?

> [1] BTW: what's the point of using -fasm with -keep-hc-files? IMHO,
> it should be -fviaC -keep-hc-files. Someone let me know if I should
> correct this in the wiki.

GHC will act as if -fvia-C is given if -keep-hc-files is given. It
would be nice to update the wiki to say -fvia-C rather than -fasm to
avoid confusion, though.

> ps: yes, I'm slowly trying to bring HC bootstrap back to work. It's
> a must-have for the OpenBSD port.

Note that there is a plan to drop the registerised via-C way of
compiling GHC at some point, so this isn't going to work in the long
term (unless you want to bootstrap via an unregisterised compiler).

Would it not be possible to have a ghc-bin package in OpenBSD, which
contains a precompiled binary that can be used to compile a ghc source
package? I think Gentoo does something like that.

> pps: I guess, cvs-ghc would be the more correct list for sending
> patches and discussing the bootstrapping stuff, right?

Yup.

Thanks
Ian