Tiger installer [was: Re: ANN: Mac installer pkg for GHC - 6.8.2.20080211 trial release (Leopard, Intel)]

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 14 05:09:07 EST 2008

Yitzchak Gale:
> Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>> Try this
>> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/GHC-6.9.20080213-i386.dmg
>
> I got it, but there were some download problems. I hope the
> file is intact. It has exactly 44740924 bytes. Perhaps you
> could send me an md5sum to be certain.

The file length is correct.

wireless-139 chak 2 (/Users/chak): md5 Public/Web/haskell/
GHC-6.9.20080213-i386.dmg
MD5 (Public/Web/haskell/GHC-6.9.20080213-i386.dmg) =
cc76dea615234aa83d85ef5c30021828

>> and whether you can run /usr/bin/ghci (not so sure about that).
>
> It didn't.
>
> $ /usr/bin/ghci
> Bus error
>
> In the readme, you say that I require Xcode 3.0. Tiger came with
> Xcode 2.4.1, and I have not updated it. (I tried once, but the
> download was so huge that I decided to forget it unless there
> was some real need.) Could that be part of the problem?

If ghc worked in the past on your machine, then your Xcode version
should be fine.  (It's really only important that we have a version of
gcc that plays nicely with ghc.)  But you are right, I need to update
that readme for Tiger (the recommendation for 3.0 really only applies
to Leopard.)

I had a closer look at cross compilation for 10.4 and I think I know
why we get the bus error and how to avoid it.  To avoid you having to
download another GHC build, which may have problems again, I have
compiled two versions of hello world and put them in a tar ball at

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/HelloWorld.tar.bz2

It contains HelloWorld-Leopard and HelloWorld-Tiger.  Please try to
run them both.  I believe HelloWorld-Leopard will also give you a bus
error, but I hope HelloWorld-Tiger will work.

(Interestingly HelloWorld-Tiger is about 8x bigger than HelloWorld-
Leopard.  I don't think this has anything to do with GHC, but is due
to Apple's cross-compilation SDK.)

Manuel