Version control systems

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 00:04:12 EDT 2008

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
<chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Ian, I completely agree with you.  I love the darcs vcs model, too.
>  However, we have three discussions here:
>
> (1) Do we want darcs vcs model?
>
>    Except Thomas Schilling, who seems to be dead set to get rid of darcs,
> everybody who voiced their opinion seems to be in favour of the darcs model.

I also don't think that the darcs model has much to offer over git, in
fact I find that it lacks some useful features (not counting a
reliable implementation).  Examples include good support for
branching, and being able to easily determine the version of the
software that is in a repository (git uses a hash of the content to
identify the current state, so it is easy to check if we two
developers have the same version of the content).

By the way, git's UI is really not as bad as people seem to think.
For everyday development "git gui" works very well, and provides a
nice GUI that lets you see what you have modified, choose what you
want to record, and push/pull from other repos.

-Iavor