Version control systems

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 12 20:49:41 EDT 2008

Ian, I completely agree with you.  I love the darcs vcs model, too.
However, we have three discussions here:

(1) Do we want darcs vcs model?

     Except Thomas Schilling, who seems to be dead set to get rid of
darcs, everybody who voiced their opinion seems to be in favour of the
darcs model.

(2) Is the current implementation of darcs up to a project the size of
ghc?

     Due to problems in the past & performance regressions with
darcs2, a serious number of (important) people believe that the
current implementation is not good enough.

(3) If we change the vcs for the ghc repo, do we change the vcs for
the boot libs, too.

     This is just an open-source project maintenance question.  It has
nothing to do with which vcs is better.

     This is the only point I have been arguing: *if* GHC's repo
changes, all boot lib repos must change, too.

Manuel

Ian Lynagh: