Version control systems

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:53:26 EDT 2008

On 12 Aug 2008, at 15:46, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> It's unclear exactly what to do about this.  The most plausible
> possibility is to keep the core libraries that are shared with other
> implementations in darcs as now, and mirror them in git for GHC
> developers.  That will impose pain on GHC developers to keep the git
> stuff in sync with the darcs master copies; but at least other
> developers would be unaffected.

FWIW, I started a wiki page that tries a direct comparison between
Darcs and Git:

   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GitForDarcsUsers

Some mappings are simple, some are more complicated and will require
adopting a different workflow.  I still recommend reading a tutorial,
but this cheat sheet should be a good start if you don't want to
spend much time to learn Git just yet.  Where no directly
corresponding command exists or emulating it would be too messy, I
try to hint towards other work flows.

I encourage everyone to add useful tips and examples both from users
who already use Git and later on, once we have gathered more
experience.  I believe that Git has some features which can improve
our productivity and I'd like this page to also collect tips how to
do so.

/ Thomas
--
Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.