[GHC] #2153: GHCi does not have a :source command to load further .ghci files

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Tue Apr 8 20:14:53 EDT 2008

it is actually in the users guide, just not where one would find
it when looking for a way to do this..

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/ghci-commands.html

section 3.7 (GHCi commands), as one of the examples for using ':def'.

perhaps it would help to (-: todo; +: done):

- repeat the ':def :. readFile' example in section 3.9 (The .ghci file),
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/ghci-dot-files.html
    where more people are likely to find it. having this
    command seems essential for debugging .ghci files

- in section 3.9, add a link to the haskell wiki page, referring to
    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/GHCi
    as "examples of useful .ghci definitions" (that page could
    do with some improvements, though)

+ i've added a link to my old tutorial to that haskell wiki page,
    feel free to use the text from that message or the .ghci files

- section 3.9 doesn't seem to reflect the current situation
    wrt .ghci locations on windows!

i tried at the time to get others to post their .ghci files at well,
and share their favourite tricks, but there weren't many responses.

hth,
claus