combination not supported: Threaded/Profiling when building NDP library

Ben Gaster brg at clearspeed.com
Tue Sep 18 05:21:35 EDT 2007

Hello

Having read the papers on Nested Data Parallelism in the Haskell I
wanted to play around with the de-sugared implementation in the GHC
library NDP. I have built GHC from source, on RHE5, and then installed
the NDP library from the tar ball. Following the build instructions in
the README I got to building the library which resulted in the following
error being reported:

ghc-6-6.1: combination not supported: Threaded/Profiling

This seems to be down to the fact that -prof and -threaded have been
specified on a particular build line, although I emit not to be
completely sure about this.

Looking through the GHC page on its SMP support it seems to imply that
the option -threaded is not needed when building code, rather when
linking a parallel program, but it is unclear if this is the case when
building a library such as NDP.

Having scanned through the GHC source tree it seems that -prof is
referenced in numerous places such that it would be a bit of a pain to
have to remove these over removing the single reference to -threaded in
the ndp.mk file.

Thanks for any help that you can provide on this.

Many Regards,

Ben

Benedict R. Gaster
S/W Architecture Team Lead
ClearSpeed Technology Plc
3110 Great Western Court
Hunts Ground Road
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
BS34 8HP

--
The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and refrain from copying or disclosing the contents of the email to any third party.  ClearSpeed accepts no liability for any viruses which may be transmitted by this email or its attachments.

ClearSpeed Technology PLC is a company registered in England under company number 05159262 whose registered office is at 3110 Great Western Court, Hunts Ground Road, Bristol BS34 8HP, UK.

ClearSpeed Technology INC is a wholly owned subsidiary of ClearSpeed Technology PLC and is incorporated in the United States of America, with its principle place of business at 3031 Tisch Way, Suite 200, San Jose, CA 95128, US.

Additional Company information can be found at the following: http://www.clearspeed.com/aboutus/company/index.html