compiling on solaris 9

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Mon Sep 17 12:31:03 EDT 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 18:14, skaller wrote:
> [...] The algorithm I presented (crudely) goes further.
> What you're doing is enough for a language that doesn't have to
> bind to C and/or C++. [...]

I think this is an exaggeration, we do bind to C and do this quite
successfully. As long as C has variable argument lists, void* and char*
(potentially aliasing *every* data type, this is explicit in the C standards)
all over the place in tons of OS calls and library entries, your fine-grained
distinction is a bit academic. Look e.g. at dlopen(): It returns a void*,
even for functions, which is theoretically wrong, but this doesn't stop
*nices from working. ;-) As long as things like this are the case (i.e.
forever), C will never have some real overloading, because that would mean
invalidating almost every SW out there. C is basically a slighty typed
assembler language, nothing more.

Granted, the story is different for languages like C++, where type signatures
are even manifest in the object files, but we do not bind to C++.

Cheers,
   S.