About ReplacingGMPNotes

Roberto Zunino zunino at di.unipi.it
Sat Sep 15 10:00:56 EDT 2007

I noticed the following on
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ReplacingGMPNotes

===
The LGPL licensing situation may be worse: even though The Glasgow
Haskell Compiler License is essentially a "free software" license
(BSD3), according to paragraph 2 of the LGPL, GHC must be distributed
under the terms of the LGPL!
===

This seems to be inaccurate to me. The LGPLv2.1, section 6, states that,
if you statically-link, it is enough to provide the GHC source (even
under BSD), o re-linkable object code. I think the newer LGPL has a
similar clause.

Also:
===
(Dynamic libraries are currently distributed only for OS X.)
===

This is for Haskell libs, and does not affect the GMP issues in any way,
AFAICS. GMP is indeed dynamically linked in my linux system.

Regards,
Roberto Zunino.