Bumping "extralib" library versions

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Oct 22 09:11:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 12:43:05PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> For each one I'd like to identify where the HEAD repo is, what the last
> released version was, what the current version number in the darcs
> version is, if there are any changes since that release and if so what
> the new release number ought to be.
>
> These version number bumps are based on existing versioning practise for
> these libraries rather than the proposed package versioning policy.
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy#Version_numbers
> I have also listed for each package what the next version number would
> be under the proposed package versioning policy.They are marked as "PVP
> next version".
>
> If you think I've got any of these details wrong, please say so.

We've discussed this in #ghc, and we think it's best to use 4 component
version numbers so Cabal's snapshot (== append $date) version numbers do
what we want and fit in with us following the proposed policy.

If anyone sees any problems with my suggested version numbers below,
please shout.

I've CCed all addresses listed as Cabal maintainers of extralibs; please
let us know if you disagree with the versions we propose to use for your
packages.

> ==========
> ALUT
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/ALUT
> Released version:       2.0.1  (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        2.0.1
> Changes since release:  minor build system changes
> Suggested next version: 2.0.2
> PVP next version:       2.0.1.1

Latest version I can find is 2.0.20060921
http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/2006-09/packages/ALUT-2.0.20060921.tar.gz
so I think 2.1.0.0 should be the next release.

> ==========
> arrows
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/arrows
> Released version:       0.3  (on hackage)
> Current version:        0.3
> Changes since release:  none
> Suggested next version: not needed
> PVP next version:       not needed

There have been some patches to the repo, so I think it would be nice to
make a new tarball, and it's not that expensive, so I'd suggest 0.3.0.1.

> ==========
> cgi
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/cgi
> Released version:       3001.1.5 (on hackage)
> Current version:        3001.1.5
> Changes since release:  comments and build system changes
> Suggested next version: 3001.1.6
> PVP next version:       3001.1.5.1

3001.1.5.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> fgl
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/fgl
> Released version: 5.4.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:  5.4.1
> Changes since release: build system changes
> Suggested next version: 5.4.2
> PVP next version:       5.4.1.1

5.4.1.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> GLUT
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/GLUT
> Released version:       2.1.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        2.1.1
> Changes since release:  build system changes
> Suggested next version: 2.1.2
> PVP next version:       2.1.1.1

2.1.1.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> haskell-src
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/haskell-src
> Released version:       1.0.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        1.0.1
> Changes since release:  build system and portability changes (same api)
> Suggested next version: 1.0.2
> PVP next version:       1.0.1.1

1.0.1.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> HGL
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/HGL
> Released version:       3.1.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        3.1.1
> Changes since:          build system changes
> Suggested next version: 3.1.2
> PVP next version:       3.1.1.1

Largest known is 3.1.20060921:
http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/2006-09/packages/HGL-3.1.20060921.tar.gz
so I think 3.2.0.0 should be the next release.

> ==========
> html
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/html
> Released version:       1.0.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        1.0.1
> Changes since:          build system changes
> Suggested next version: 1.0.2
> PVP next version:       1.0.1.1

1.0.1.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> HUnit
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/HUnit
> Released version:       1.1.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        1.1.1
> Changes since:          some code changes, not obvious if api changed
> Suggested next version: 1.1.2
> PVP next version:       1.1.2

Largest known is 1.1.20060921:
http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/2006-09/packages/HUnit-1.1.20060921.tar.gz
so I think 1.2.0.0 should be the next release.

> ==========
> mtl
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/mtl
> Released version:       1.0.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        1.0.1
> Changes since:          added more module re-exports and docs
> Suggested next version: 1.0.2
> PVP next version:       1.0.2

Largest known is 1.0.20060921:
http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/2006-09/packages/mtl-1.0.20060921.tar.gz
so I think 1.1.0.0 should be the next release.

> ==========
> network
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/network
> Released version:       2.0.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        2.0.1
> Changes since:          IPV6 support added, api extended not changed
> Suggested next version: 2.0.2
> PVP next version:       2.0.2

Largest known is 2.0.20060921:
http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/2006-09/packages/network-2.0.20060921.tar.gz
so I think 2.1.0.0 should be the next release.

> ==========
> ObjectIO
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/ObjectIO
> Released version:       1.0.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        1.0.1
> Changes since:          Setup.hs changes only
> Suggested next version: 1.0.2
> PVP next version:       1.0.1.1

1.0.1.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> OpenAL
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/OpenAL
> Released version:       1.3.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        1.3.1
> Changes since:          build system changes
> Suggested next version: 1.3.2
> PVP next version:       1.3.1.1

1.3.1.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> OpenGL
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/OpenGL
> Released version:       2.2.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        2.2.1
> Changes since:          build system changes
> Suggested next version: 2.2.2
> PVP next version:       2.2.1.1

2.2.1.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> parallel
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/parallel
> Released version:       none
> Current version:        1.0
> Changes since:          n/a
> Suggested next version: 1.0
> PVP next version:       1.0

1.0.0.0

http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/2006-09/packages/parsec-2.0.20060921.tar.gz

http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/2006-09/packages/QuickCheck-1.0.20060921.tar.gz
so I think 1.1.0.0 should be the next release.

> Note: we seem to be including QuickCheck 1.x rather than 2.x.

I don't know why this is. I don't understand the status of the various
QuickChecks.

> ==========
> regex-base
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/regex-unstable/regex-base
> 0.72 repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/regex-base
> Released version:       0.72 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
>                         0.92 (on hackage)
> Current version:        0.72 (in ghc-6.8 extralibs)
>                         0.92 (upstream)
> Changes since:          build system changes
> Suggested next version: 0.72.1
> PVP next version:       0.72.0.1

0.72.0.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> regex-compat
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/regex-unstable/regex-compat
> 0.71 repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/regex-compat
> Released version:       0.71 (hackage and ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
>                         0.90 (on hackage)
> Current version:        0.71 (in ghc-6.8 extralibs)
>                         0.90 (upstream)
> Changes since:          trivial code change and build system changes
> Suggested next version: 0.71.1
> PVP next version:       0.71.0.1

0.71.0.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> regex-posix
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/regex-unstable/regex-posix
> 0.72 repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/regex-posix
> Released version:       0.71 (hackage and ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
>                         0.91 (on hackage)
> Current version:        0.72 (in ghc-6.8 extralibs)
>                         0.91 (upstream)
> Changes since:          compatible code changes and build system changes
> Suggested next version: 0.72.1
> PVP next version:       0.72.0.1

0.72.0.1 looks good to me.

> ==========
> stm
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/stm
> Released version:       2.1 (hackage and ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        2.1
> Changes since:          two new new functions and build system changes
> Suggested next version: 2.1.1
> PVP next version:       2.1.1

2.1.1.0

> ==========
> time
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/time
> Released version:       1.1.1 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        1.1.1
> Changes since:          minor behaviour changes (bug fixes)
> Suggested next version: 1.1.2
> PVP next version:       1.1.2

1.1.2.0

> ==========
> X11
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/X11
> Released version:       1.2.3 (on hackage)
> Current version:        1.2.3
> Changes since:          none
> Suggested next version: not needed
> PVP next version:       not needed

1.2.3.1

> ==========
> xhtml
>
> HEAD repo: http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/xhtml
> Released version:       3000.0.2 (in ghc-6.6.1 extralibs tarball)
> Current version:        3000.0.2
> Changes since:          minor build system changes
> Suggested next version: 3000.0.3
> PVP next version:       3000.0.2.1

3000.0.2.1 looks good to me.

I believe all the core library version numbers are OK, except I will
append .0's until they become 4-component.

Thanks
Ian