suggestion: add a .ehs file type

Alex Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Tue Nov 27 13:21:40 EST 2007

Simon, I think we've been trying to be too clever...

The simple question is: for a given extension, what is the risk of
leaving it turned on by default?

Clearly we don't want extensions turned on that causes code to compile
but with a different meaning.  We may not want extensions turned on that
cause most reasonable code not to compile.

But I would say neither risk is significant in the case of most
extensions.  To use your examples:

* FFI doesn't not cause h98 code to compile to a different meaning.  The
worst case is that code that uses 'foreign' as a function name doesn't
compile.  That seems okay in that more code probably uses FFI than uses
foreign as a function name and the user can apply a language pragma to
turn it off if really desired.

* Existential types won't cause h98 code to compile with a different
meaning.  The worst case is that code that uses 'forall' as a type
variable won't compile.  That seems ok....

* TemplateHaskell also not compatible with h98.  The worst case is the
loss "[d|" in list comprehensions.

* MagicHash: Does not appear in the ToC or the Index of the user's guide
so should probably be turned off.  I have no idea what it does.

Note, in all cases where the extension is turned on by default, there
should be a language pragma to turn it off.

-Alex-