suggestion: add a .ehs file type

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 07:25:16 EST 2007

Alex Jacobson wrote:

> Simon, from what I can tell, with GHC 6.8.1, use of foreign as a
> function name or forall as a type variable or leaving out a space in a
> list-comprehension doesn't "parse differently" when the relevant
> extensions are enabled, it causes a parse error.
 >
> Extensions allow the same code to parse but with different meanings need
> to be declared explicitly.  But, extensions that are obvious from syntax
> should be allowed to be declared simply from the use of that syntax.

So for the first example I gave,

f x y = x 3# y

the "MagicHash" extension is one that you'd require to be explicitly
declared, because the expression parses both with and without the extension.

Now, Let's take the Template Haskell example:

f x = [d|d<-xs]

So this is valid Haskell 98, but invalid H98+TH.  You would therefore like
this example to parse unambiguously as H98, correct?  But in order to do
that, our parser would need arbitrary lookahead: it can't tell whether the
expression is legal H98+TH until it gets to the '<-' in this case.
Certainly it's possible to implement this using a backtracking parser, but
Haskell is supposed to be parsable with a shift-reduce parser such as the
one GHC uses.  Or we could try parsing the whole module with various
combinations of extensions turned on or off, but I'm sure you can see the
problems with that.

So basically the problem is that you need a parser that parses a strict
superset of Haskell98 - and that's hard to achieve.