suggestion: add a .ehs file type

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 04:14:33 EST 2007

Alex Jacobson wrote:

> In any case, I'm pretty sure the correct answer is not 50 language
> pragmas with arbitrary spellings for various language features at the
> top of each source file.

You probably won't like any of these, but there are many ways to avoid
writing out all the pragmas at the top of each file.

1. Use Cabal's extensions field.

2. Use CPP

MyExtensions.h:
{-# LANGUAGE TemplateHaskell, FlexibleInstances,
              OverlappingInstances, UndecidableInstances, CPP,
              ScopedTypeVariables, PatternSignatures, GADTs,
              PolymorphicComponents, FlexibleContexts,
              MultiParamTypeClasses, DeriveDataTypeable,
              PatternGuards #-}

MyModule.hs:
{-# LANGUAGE CPP #-}
#include "MyExtensions.h"

3. Use a shell alias

alias ghce='ghc -XTemplateHaskell -XFlexibleInstances ...'

4. use a script wrapper for GHC

#!/bin/sh
exec ghc -XTemplateHaskell -XFlexibleInstances ... $*

I'm sure there are more...