GHC.Prim problem

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Tue May 29 21:58:38 EDT 2007

Simon Marlow on 2007-05-29 16:05:49 +0100:

> Ben Sinclair wrote:
> >Hello, I've had a problem with GHC.Prim when compiling the darcs HEAD
> >lately. When I compile it in the normal way with no special options
> >
> >>sh boot && ./configure && make && make install
> >

> It works for me, with last night's HEAD build.  Are you running GHC from
> the build tree, or installing it first?  (not that it ought to make a
> difference). If you say 'ghc-pkg describe base', does it list GHC.Prim as
> exposed?

I built a clean HEAD from today and installed it with 'make install'.
It works well enough to compile libraries like zlib and binary as well
as applications like xmonad.

When I try to compile the example file Ben gave using the installed ghc,
it fails as Ben described - no GHC.Prim.  'ghc-pkg describe base' does
not list GHC.Prim as exported, even though base's cabal file does.  When
I use the GHC from the build tree, it compiles fine.

> While importing GHC.Prim should work, the right way is to import GHC.Exts
> instead.

GHC.Exts doesn't appear to export unsafeCoerce#, which hs-plugins and
gtk2hs both want.