GHC.Prim problem

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:05:49 EDT 2007

Ben Sinclair wrote:
> Hello, I've had a problem with GHC.Prim when compiling the darcs HEAD
> lately. When I compile it in the normal way with no special options
>
>> sh boot && ./configure && make && make install
>
> it compiles correctly, but if I attempt to compile
>
>> module Main where
>>
>> import GHC.Prim
>>
>> main :: IO ()
>> main = return ()
>
> then I get this output:
>
>> $ ghc --make Main.hs -fglasgow-exts -v

>> Main.hs:3:0:
>>     Failed to load interface for `GHC.Prim':
>>       locations searched:
>> 	GHC/Prim.hs
>> 	GHC/Prim.lhs

It works for me, with last night's HEAD build.  Are you running GHC from the
build tree, or installing it first?  (not that it ought to make a difference).
If you say 'ghc-pkg describe base', does it list GHC.Prim as exposed?

While importing GHC.Prim should work, the right way is to import GHC.Exts instead.