Trouble trying to find packages for ubuntu linux

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Fri Mar 16 04:17:58 EDT 2007

Brian Hulley wrote:
> I'm a total linux newbie and am trying to get ghc6.6 installed together
> with all the libraries. I'm using Ubuntu linux which uses Debian package
> format but has its own repositories which only have ghc6.4.2 at the
> moment.

I'm in the same situation, and found it most convenient to download and
install a binary snapshot of GHC to /usr/local.  (I also tried to get
Ubuntu to ship 6.4.2 in Dapper and 6.6 in Edgy, but both were a tad too
late.  I bet 6.6.1 will arrive just after Feisty is out, too :-)
Anyway: the binary snapshots are easy and quick to install, includes a
bunch of libraries, and cabal makes it easy to add anything else.

-k