FreeBSD/amd64 port: more progress

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 17:15:02 EDT 2007

Hi Ian,

On Mar 15, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> I think the first thing to do is to see if
> newPinnedByteArrayzh_fast is
> being passed plausible values. The easiest way is probably to set a
> breakpoint in gdb on newPinnedByteArrayzh_fast (Having
> "GhcRtsHcOpts += -keep-hc-files" in mk/build.mk will probably help so
> you can look at PrimOps.hc; unfortunately we don't seem to set hcsuf -
> we probably should. You might also want to check that the RTS wasn't
> compiled with optimisation on. Note that this is in the 6.4 tree, not
> the 6.6 one!)

The 6.4.2 compiler was built with by the hc-build script which uses

GhcWithInterpreter=NO
GhcWithNativeCodeGen=NO
SplitObjs=NO
GhcLibWays=

in build.mk, so I assume it has optimization on.  Can I simply add

GhcRtsHcOpts += -O0

or should I change SRC_HC_OPTS with

SRC_HC_OPTS += -O0

in the build.mk of the 6.4.2 tree?  I'm also assuming that I can
just rebuild 6.4.2 with optimization off on the target amd64 box
and that I can still use my original .hc files from the i386 machine.
Is that true?

> If you do make any changes to the RTS code or compilation options then
> you'll have to run make and make install in 6.4.2's rts/, then delete
> 6.6-branch's compiler/stage1/ghc-6.6* and run make stage=1 in
> compiler/.

Oakey-dokey.

> Thanks
> Ian