64-bit windows version?

Peter Tanski p.tanski at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:35:31 EDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 12:55 PM, kyra wrote:

>> Certainly doable but it does present a conundrum: for the old GHC
>> (without builtin cl-support) the order for compilation seems to be:
>> <compile/link command> <compile/link flags> <output> <source/
>> object files> <other flags>
>> while for cl running link.exe or link.exe, it is better to put all
>> the files at the end of the command line:
>> <compile/link command> <compile/link flags> <output> <other flags>
>> <source/object files>
>> It also adds one more layer of indirection a that delicate stage.
>
> Maybe some gcc mimicing cl wrapper tailored specifically for GHC
> building system could help? One more layer of indirection, but
> could leave ghc driver relatively intact.

That's a good idea!  Do you know if or how the mingw-gcc is able to
do that?  Does mingw-gcc wrap link.exe?  It sounds silly that someone
relatively inexperienced with mingw should be doing this but it
_really_needs doing and no one else seems to want it (besides, from
my perspective, once I get through the build-system drudgery it lets
me handle the fun stuff like adding inline MASM to the RTS, such as
ghc/includes/SMP.h).

Cheers,
Pete