Locating shared libraries

Rich Neswold rich.neswold at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:05:11 EDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Stefan O'Rear <stefanor at cox.net> wrote:

> > Did I understand that correctly that you don't want to see binaries
> > with rpath's pointing to install directories such as /usr/lib/gcc-6.6?
> > So, this forces us to use a wrapper in all cases.
>
> Please think seriously about mangling the names of Haskell libraries to
> include version information and dropping them in $PREFIX/lib with every
> other language's libraries.  Haskell is not special, and users expect
> libraries to be in /usr/lib.  No wrapper needed, no RPATH needed, as far
> as I can see no fanciness at all.

Actually, Haskell libraries ought to be placed in /usr/local/lib (or
/usr/pkg/lib for systems that use the Package System: http://www.pkgsrc.org).
Haskell libraries shouldn't mingle with the base OS libraries. But it
shouldn't be separate from the other third-party libraries, either.
--
Rich

JID: rich at neswold.homeunix.net
AIM: rnezzy