Locating shared libraries

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Wed Jun 13 10:06:48 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 03:00:04PM +0200, Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:
> > > 3) Running programs
> >
> > > Let's see how libtool handles this situation.
> >
> > I would recommend against following libtool's lead in this area.
> > Libtool's fondness for cooking RPATH into binaries makes it very
> > difficult to deal with, because it's quite common for those binaries to
> > get installed and distributed, RPATH and all.  RPATH should only be used
> > by a user who knows they have a large-calibre weapon pointed at their foot.
>
> Did I understand that correctly that you don't want to see binaries
> with rpath's pointing to install directories such as /usr/lib/gcc-6.6?
> So, this forces us to use a wrapper in all cases.

Please think seriously about mangling the names of Haskell libraries to
include version information and dropping them in $PREFIX/lib with every
other language's libraries.  Haskell is not special, and users expect
libraries to be in /usr/lib.  No wrapper needed, no RPATH needed, as far
as I can see no fanciness at all.

Stefan