> 2^32 b, 6.6 for Itanium

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Jun 12 20:50:01 EDT 2007

Hi Serge,

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 10:14:07PM +0400, Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:

> 1. How  ghc-6.6  runs on 64-bit machines having more that  2^32
>    byte memory ?
>    Can it run into "Segmentation fault" ?

It's a bug if it does.

> 2. Can you prepare a reliable  ghc-6.6 binary  for  Itanium a64 Linux
>    ?
> Or maybe, someone can contribute ?
>
> One of my colleagues says the following.
>
> -------------------------------------
> He has taken such a binary from
> > (http://www.haskell.org/ghc/distribution_packages.html#debian),
> >
> somehow installed it and tried to make from source. It reports
>
> >/tmp/ghc12430_0/ghc12430_0.s: Assembler messages:
> >
> >/tmp/ghc12430_0/ghc12430_0.s:51:0:
> >     Error: Operand 1 of `mov' should be a general register
> -------------------------------------

If you just try to do a source build without any mk/build.mk then it
will try to do a registerised build, which is unlikely to work.

If you put

    GhcUnregisterised=YES
    GhcWithNativeCodeGen=NO
    GhcWithInterpreter=NO
    SplitObjs=NO
    GhcNotThreaded=YES

in mk/build.mk before building then it should work.

Thanks
Ian