GHC 6.6.1 on Debian Etch?

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Fri Jun 8 03:51:12 EDT 2007

Wagner Ferenc <wferi at niif.hu> writes:

> Stefan O'Rear <stefanor at cox.net> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 10:13:41PM +0200, Wagner Ferenc wrote:
>>
>>> what's the best way to install GHC 6.6.1 on a Debian Etch system?
>>> Basically: are there installable packages available somewhere, or
>>> should I recompile the Sid packages, or create a stub package from a
>>> binary .tar.gz bundle, or some other option I didn't think of?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Install the binary .tar.gz bundle *without creating a stub package*
>>
>> It installs in /usr/local, so dpkg must not know about it.
>
> Hmm, you have got a point, but then I can't uninstall/upgrade later
> easily, I'm afraid.

I poked a little further down this road.  For creating a package, it
would be useful if I could ./configure --prefix=/usr and later
DESTDIR=/tmp/stage make install (or similar, you got the idea) so that
I can gather the would-be-installed files into a package for later
installation.  If no pathes are wired into the binaries during make
install, then setting prefix to /tmp/stage/usr would do the trick, but
it's not the case, I guess.  Something similar must be necessary for
Igloo to create the Debian Sid packages, so I find it somewhat
surprising that it's not present in Makefile.in (or Makefile-bin.in?)
On the other hand, he must be working with the source distribution,
which may have this infrastructure...  Anyway, it would be simple to
add this by augmenting the install commands, but before I dive into
this, I wanted to ask for your opinions.
--
Thanks,
Feri.