ghc 6.6 Debian packages

Norman Ramsey nr at eecs.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 5 15:04:06 EDT 2007

 > On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 11:15:03AM +0200, Christian Maeder wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > our developers that have a debian system (i.e Ubuntu) and want to
 > > compile our sources with ghc complain that they have to install many
 > > extra library packages one after another.
 > >
 > > Compiling fails at various stages due to missing packages.
 > >
 > > Is there no way to provide all the extra libs in one debian package for
 > > ghc?
 >
 > It may be possible to create a "package" which depends on all normal
 > "extras" but that seems counter-productive.

As a Debian user who frequently operates disconnected from the
network, I have to say I have found such 'extras' packages highly
productive---the loss of disk space is more than compensated for by
the ability to continue working during a long plane flight, because
packages I didn't know I needed are already installed on my system.

I would welcome a virtual package to pull in all things ghc-6.6.

Norman