[Haskell-cafe] External Core

Aaron Tomb atomb at soe.ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 7 23:38:36 EST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:29 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> | I am still working on it. Some external events have slowed me down a
> | little (research, classes, appendicitis), and it has involved more
> | changes to the innards of GHC than anticipated, but it is still
> | moving along. If you can wait a little while, it should be possible
> | to use GHC.
>
> I'm delighted to hear it; thank you.  Maybe there are others who'd
> like to join in?
>
> Keep me posted about those "changes to the innards" you mention!

I think I made that sound scarier than it really is. :-)

We talked earlier about replacing the Kind in HsTyVarBndr with a new
HsKind which is to HsType as Kind is to Type. Making that change has
caused ripples throughout the system, which have taken me a while to
track down and fix. All of the changes are superficial (often as
simple as changing type signatures), but they touch more modules than
I had expected. And that means I've had to figure out the workings of
a number of modules that are essentially unrelated to External Core.
That, along with many distractions, has made it take me a while.

I'll get the wiki page updated in the near future with the current
status.

Aaron