Building GHC 6.6.1 on Leopard/PPC

Thorkil Naur naur at
Thu Dec 20 12:58:48 EST 2007

First of all: Welcome to the club. I hope you will find it enjoyable. And then
to your questions:

I have never tried to bootstrap GHC from C, so I am not really able to help
with your specific problem. However, if you just want a running GHC, the
binary distributions should provide an easy path.

I have installed several binary GHC packages on various PPC Mac OS X machines
and, generally, they work. You should, however, be aware of several,
relatively recent, problems that have popped up that seem connected with GHC
6.8.1 and Leopard. See for example

For example, I have a GHC 6.6.1 running on both 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5
(Leopard) that I installed from (see

Once you have a running binary GHC, you can start building (newer) GHC's from
source distributions or darcs repositories.

Feel free to write back, if this is not the right answer to your questions.

Best regards