[Haskell-cafe] Re: #haskell works

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 20 09:22:41 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 16:54 +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> Thursday, December 20, 2007, 4:01:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Fixing it all properly means some fairly significant architectural changes,
> > and dropping the via-C backend
>
> oh, thank you. from my POV, C backend still may be used together with
> "non-registerized" compilers.

Yes, the non-registerised C backend will remain to support those arches
without a native code generator (sparc, hppa, alpha, arm etc). It's only
the high performance registerised C backend that will go away (since
having to retain binary compatibility with the registerised C backend is
holding back progress of the native backend).

> noone asked my question about plans of win-x64 support. it's important
> for my users, so i ask you again - can you please implement it?
>
> to other GHC users: i'm pretty sure that win-x64 support will not be
> implemented if it's required only for me. so, if someone need it -
> please write about this to ghc debelopers

Or better yet, try the port yourself and send patches! :-)

Several people outside GHC HQ have done ports to other platforms. The
process is reasonably well documented in the GHC developer wiki. So
there is no need for you to wait for it to become a priority at GHC HQ.

Duncan