ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 12:31:28 EST 2007

Hi,

I also agree with Duncan---basic library functions should provide a
mechanism and not try to enforce a policy.   Applications that are
interested in supporting the %HOME% convention can easily do so by
defining a function that first checks for that environment variable,
and only if it is not set, then use the 'getHomeDirectory' function.

On Dec 14, 2007 5:24 PM, Juanma Barranquero <lekktu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because what Yitzchak Gale proposed and I seconded does not mean that
> getHomeDirectory will not "follow the Windows API", unless very
> specifically requested by setting HOME.

Setting an environment variable is just one way for the user to
specify the location of the configuration data for the program.  Other
options are to use a command line flag, or setting an entry in the
Windows registry, for example.

-Iavor