About -Wall option

Olivier Boudry olivier.boudry at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:43:42 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 7:43 AM, Luis Cabellos <zhen.sydow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question, what's the best way to program?
>  - put all the signatures in the Haskell Code?
>  - Only put the type signatures needed to compile (like monomorphism
> errors or ambiguous signature)?
>
> Until now, I prefer the second one, but when I use the -Wall option,
> there's a lot of complains about type signature. Maybe the type signature is
> something that not need to be checked as a warning.
>
> But if the best practice is to put all the signatures, I found that Cabal
> generated code need to be fixed, because -Wall complains about it also.

Hi Luis,

I don't know what the best way to program is, but I usually put signatures
on all functions. I think it often helps get smarter error messages from the
compiler. ;-)

So I like the warning about missing signatures. If you don't like it you can
disable it like this:

-Wall -fno-warn-missing-signatures

or maybe use -W instead of -Wall, apparently the warn-missing-signatures is
not comprised in the -W flag.

Cheers,

Olivier.