FreeBSD/amd64 registerised running

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Apr 12 17:39:00 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 08:49:03PM +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > Ah.  I was about to checkin a replacement for System.Posix.Types (in
> > > base) that uses hsc2hs instead of autoconf.
> >
> > Anyway, to answer your question, using hsc2hs in System.Posix.Types
> > will cause problems for bootstrapping GHC, yes, because we can't run
> > hsc2hs on the target without GHC, but we can run configure.
>
> But it is only a problem for cross-compiling - yes?

Yes.

> And no more of a problem than ghc already has?

No, with the configure method we can run configure on the target and
copy the files back to the host. The instructions at
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Porting do so for
    includes/ghcautoconf.h
    includes/DerivedConstants.h
    includes/GHCConstants.h
and look like they ought to for libraries/base/include/HsBaseConfig.h
too.

But we can't run hsc2hs on the target without having a Haskell compiler
there.

Thanks
Ian