[Hugs-users] Record puns, time for removal?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 05:59:45 EST 2006

Hello Neil,

Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 4:04:23 AM, you wrote:

>> > puns like Foo { .. } would be great too.
>>
>> I'd vote for enabling them with a command line switch, rather than by default, as they can be confusing to folks learning the language.

> How discussions come full circle :) I started this discussion on the
> Hugs users list because I want to _remove_ the command line switch for
> puns from Yhc. I'm not overly fussed whether I remove the entire
> feature, or just remove the command line and make it always on by
> default, but I do want the command line switch gone!

compiler switch can't be made a part of Haskell' :)

and anyway, i don't see how cmdline switch may help noivices - when
they use ".." by mistake and program mysteriously not fails? or when
they stare at the other's program and understand that this unknown
".." work only because this program compiled with some special switch?

and yes, record puns seems very ggod candidate for H'. it's widely
used (i used it until switched to GHC), it was already in Haskell, and
now it is impelemnted by every compiler

wildcard puns is more discussible, but i personally need this feature

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com