ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.6 Second Release Candidate

Brian Smith brianlsmith at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 19:55:55 EDT 2006

On 10/2/06, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:

> We are pleased to announce the Second Release Candidate phase for GHC 6.6.

I am using release candidate 2. I noticed some problems with Cabal, so I
uninstalled 1.1.4 and installed the latest version from the Darcs
repository. Now, programs that use the GHC library won't build:

ghc.exe: unknown package: Cabal-1.1.4 (dependency of ghc-6.5.20061001)

Does the ghc package really need exactly version 1.1.4? If so, then the
Cabal README should be changed, because it tells people to uninstall old
versions of Cabal before installing new versions.

>From the README (http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/Cabal/README):

This is the recommended method of installing Cabal.

If you have an older version of Cabal installed, you probably just
want to remove it:

  $ ghc-pkg unregister Cabal

Regards,
Brian