ghc-testsuite-6.6 on Macs

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Mon Nov 13 18:50:53 EST 2006

Hello,

This is an attempt to address (a very small part of) this: On my PowerPC Mac
OS X 10.3 (Panther, I think, not Tiger as I have written elsewhere), I have
built the ghc-6.6 branch (of about 2006-Nov-07 19.00 UTC) using
GHC-6.4.1.pkg.zip (The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version
6.4.1) that I got from http://haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_641.html. I
haven't studied the details of Cabal yet, so to work around an X11 problem
(http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2006-November/032492.html), I did
(1) darcs get of the ghc-6.6 branch; (2) sh darcs-all get (without --extra);
(3) got through gmake of everything without failing; (4) sh darcs-all --extra
get (to get the extra libraries, some of which (e.g. QuickCheck) are needed
for some of the tests); and finally (5) repeated gmake of everything, failing
at the X11 build, but getting through the QuickCheck build.

Then I "darcs got" the ghc-6.6/testsuite and ran the tests. My hope was that I
would be able to reproduce something similar to
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-October/011457.html,
although under different circumstances.

So far, I have only analysed the barton-mangler-bug test in detail. I have
produced an experimental darcs patch that solves some problems, while
possibly introducing others:
http://thorkilnaur.dk/~tn/GHC/testsuite/patch/barton_mangler_bug_patch_1.patch .
Comments to this would be most welcome.

Best regards