Mixing registerised and unregisterised builds

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Mar 15 11:42:00 EST 2006

Hi all,

The attached e-mail seems to be about a problem using a library compiled
with an unregisterised ghc with a registerised ghc. The linking step is
giving many "undefined reference to `stg_ap_p_ret'"s (with various
numbers of 'p's) as well as a few to `GHCziIOBase_zdWIO_entry', and
possible others I didn't spot, while compiling haskelldb with a
registerised ghc 6.4.1, where haskelldb depends on hsql, which was
compiled with an unregisterised ghc 6.4.1.

Is this expected behaviour? i.e. should I just make sure I don't change
which arches are registerised within a GHC version?

If so, would a library compiled with a registerised ghc being used
by an unregisterised ghc also cause problems?

Or have I got the problem completely wrong?

Based on a quick look at the GHC source, the missing symbols seem to be
due to this, in ghc/rts/Linker.c :

#ifdef TABLES_NEXT_TO_CODE
#define RTS_RET_SYMBOLS /* nothing */
#else
#define RTS_RET_SYMBOLS             \
[...]
      SymX(stg_ap_p_ret)            \
[...]
#endif

being toggled due to this, in ghc/includes/RtsConfig.h :

#if !defined(USE_MINIINTERPRETER) && !defined(ia64_HOST_ARCH) && !defined (powerpc64_HOST_ARCH)
#define TABLES_NEXT_TO_CODE
#endif

in turn due to this, in ghc/includes/Makefile :

ifeq "$(GhcUnregisterised)" "YES"
SRC_CC_OPTS += -DNO_REGS -DUSE_MINIINTERPRETER
endif

Thanks
Ian