installing a Cabal package non-exposed

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Fri Jun 16 08:33:52 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow schrieb:
> Before we add support for this to Cabal, we should ask why it is needed.
>   The only reason (that I know of) to hide a package by default is
> because  its namespace conflicts with another exposed package.  Is that
> the case here?

Yes, I had identical hierarchical module names in two packages, one was
a HaXml-13-CVS Cabal package, the other an old uni-haxml package that's
usually included via ghc's -package-conf option into our sources.

Unfortunately both versions have been modified in different directions
(and almost nobody wants to touch our old uni code).

Nevertheless, I thought, it should be possible to install different
hidden versions of libraries such that users (or user groups) are free
to explicitly pick the version that suits them most (although they'll
have to stick to that single version then).

Cheers Christian