Solaris x86 package

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Tue Jun 13 03:58:37 EDT 2006

Georg Sauthoff wrote:
> I tried 6.4 cvs from 20060607 at Solaris 10 x86 and have no
> problems with a threaded rts here (did a stage3 build to test
> it).

good. The results of "gmake" in testsuite/tests/ghc-regress might be
interesting, too. My last result with the unthreaded (sparc) version
yielded the following problems:

OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Wed May 31 19:27:09 CEST 2006
     1365 total tests, which gave rise to
     4157 test cases, of which
        0 caused framework failures
      580 were skipped

     3469 expected passes
       51 expected failures
        0 unexpected passes
       57 unexpected failures

Unexpected failures:
    IOError001(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
    arr016(normal,prof,threaded)
    barton-mangler-bug(normal,opt,prof,ghci,threaded)
    ffi004(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
    ffi009(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
    galois_raytrace(prof)
    ghciprog004(normal)
    hGetLine002(normal,opt,prof,ghci,threaded)
    hGetPosn001(normal,opt,prof,ghci,threaded)
    hSeek004(normal,opt,prof,ghci,threaded)
    ioref001(normal,prof,threaded)
    joao-circular(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
    maessen_hashtab(opt,prof)
    openFile003(normal,opt,prof,ghci,threaded)
    readFile001(normal,opt,prof,ghci,threaded)
    seward-space-leak(ghci)

You have to call "gmake boot" in testsuite before and check if the link
ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace points to stage2/ghc-inplace.

> I tried that package at a sparc Solaris 8 mashine. The problem
> here is, that some shared libs are not available:
>
> # ldd /var/tmp/gsauthof/ghc-6.4.2-20060529/lib/ghc-6.4.2/ghc-6.4.2
>         libreadline.so.5 =>      (file not found)
>         libncurses.so.5 =>       (file not found)
>         libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
>         libm.so.2 =>     (file not found)
>         libgmp.so.3 =>   (file not found)
>         libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
>         /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000/lib/libc_psr.so.1
>
> Because of the missing libm.so.2 - did you build it at
> Solaris > 8?

I've built under Solaris 10. (Maybe older version of readline and
ncurses would work, too.)

> About the other dependencies - sure I can fix them by installing
> the needed packages (the notes at the download page for 6.4.1
> sparc list them as dependencies, too). But I am wondering if this
> dependencies are necessary for ghc binary packages. It looks like
> a copy a libgmp is included in the ghc source and readline
> support could be left out.

libgmp is part of the sources? I was surprised that a libgmp.a was
shipped with the generic x86 binaries. Our linux machines have
libgmp.so.3 thus libgmp.a (in ghc's lib dir) is not needed (and only
blows up the final binary when linked in statically).

I don't know how to leave out readline support and what consequences
this might have.

Cheers Christian

Surely, you may try to build a sparc binary distribution as well