returning to cost of Integer

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Mon Jul 31 06:32:49 EDT 2006

Dear GHC developers,

Long ago you wrote that GHC has made  Integer  only about  3/2  times
slower than  Int.
I tested this once, and then all this time I have been relying on this.
Now, with
          ghc-6.4.1  compiled for Linux - i386-unknown,
                     running under Debian Linux, Intel Pentium III
                     under  ghc -O,

I have an occasion to repeat the test on a certain simple program for
processing lists of length 7 over  Integer.

And  Integer  shows  2.55  times slower  (11.2 sec against 4.4).

Showld we somehow agree that
                        cost(Integer)/cost(Int)  in GHC  is about  2.55

or maybe we are missing something?

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru