Compile problem on Windows

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 14:47:50 EDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Robert Dockins <robdockins at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Esa Ilari Vuokko wrote:
> > In generla, using cygwin shell with cabal and/or packages with
> > configure
> > and using non-cygwin-ghc (cygwin port of ghc isn't maintained or
> > built)
> > can lead to wierd problems.  Msys sometimes works, sometimes doesn't,
> > depending how aware packages are ghc's and msys' mingws' paths.
>
> Humm.  What do people usually do?  Use cmd.exe? *cringes at the thought*

I didn't mean to say you shouldn't use msys/cygwin.  It's just that it's
often suprising when cabal-enabled package runs configure, and how it
might not use libraries that came with ghc or those that came with
mingw correctly - package may or may not compile and it may or may not
be usable in haskell programs.  With cygwin there is additional catch that
you, in general, cannot link cygwin-compiled libs with ghc-built binaries
(safely anyway).

And yeah, I do use command prompt myself (for what little I need it for.)
when given choice.  I do shy away from packages that need msys.
But if package requires, I'll use msys (I don't use cygwin.)

Best regards,
--Esa