darcs switchover

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 10 05:10:10 EST 2006

John Goerzen wrote:
> On 2005-12-23, Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Is there more to this job than just running either cvs2darcs or tailor,
>>then waiting a few days (:-) for it to finish?
>
> There is quite some time involved in bootstrapping things, especially
> when branches are concerned.  About 30-60 minutes without branches, or
> 2 hours with branches, per new (darcs) repo.
>
> As a fan of laziness, I prefer not to do this any more than absolutely
> necessary. ;-)
>
> There is also an incremental cost; for instance, when (if?) the
> libraries branch for GHC 6.6, there will have to be new branches of each
> individual component now.  (Though once it is in darcs, this is a
> 15-second thing)

I'm leaning towards doing this now.  We might as well do it right now,
since we won't get the chance again.  (Malcolm - sorry for missing your
suggestion the first time around, I did track it down in the first round
of discussions.)

John - I'm happy to help if you let me know what needs to be done.  As
far as making new branches for 6.6 goes, I'm assuming we'll deal with this.

Having both repos is starting to hurt now, it's a fiddle to move patches
from darcs to CVS to commit them.  So I want to throw the switch ASAP;
I'm pretty certain we've dealt with any blocking problems now.  So once
we've got the libraries re-tailored, and tested the nightly builds with
the new setup, I think we could switch.