ld.exe distributed with Windows ghc-6.4.1 buggy?

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at ldn.invesco.com
Mon Feb 13 03:26:33 EST 2006

(MS Windows) GHC users,

I've experienced a small problem with the version of ld that ships with
GHC-6.4.1 for Windows. I used it to build a Postgres sample C program,
and the resulting executable segfaults on a certain line. The same
program works correctly when linked with the version of ld (a slightly
older one) that comes with my Mingw installation.

The respective ld versions are:
  Ghc-6.4.1: 2.15.91 20040904
  Mingw: 2.13.90 20030111

For now I've just replaced the ld.exe in C:\ghc\ghc-6.4.1\gcc-lib\ with
the Mingw one, and it's all good.

Simons (when you return from holiday): is it worth persuing a narrower
test case? (one that doesn't require you to install Postgres to
reproduce :-)

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is