UTF-8 decoding

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Feb 10 18:08:53 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:50:57PM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> That's true.  I guess what you're saying is that this is a problem for
> you, and your life would be easier if we supported Latin-1 as an
> encoding for source files again.  That's fine - as I mentioned, I only
> restricted it to UTF-8 initially because (a) it was easier and (b) I
> wanted to see if anyone would be adversely affected.

Another possibility is quasi-utf8 encoding. where it passes through any
invalid utf8 sequences as latin1 characters. in practice, this works
very well as interpreting both latin1 and utf8 transparently but is
more than somewhat hacky. perhaps we can have quasi-utf8 be the default,
with strict utf8 and latin1 being switches?

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈