UTF-8 decoding

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 07:50:57 EST 2006

Christian Maeder wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I see the problem - the I/O library doesn't do unicode
>> encoding/decoding, it always just takes the low 8 bits of each
>> character, hence truncating Unicode to Latin-1.  If you restrict
>> yourself to Latin-1 characters in string literals, then I/O will work
>> as expected (i.e. Latin-1 only).
>

> But if ghc-6.5 will expect utf-8 encoded source files all other haskell
> applications reading or writing haskell files must be adapted as well or
> am I wrong?

That's true.  I guess what you're saying is that this is a problem for
you, and your life would be easier if we supported Latin-1 as an
encoding for source files again.  That's fine - as I mentioned, I only
restricted it to UTF-8 initially because (a) it was easier and (b) I
wanted to see if anyone would be adversely affected.

I've now added a ticket for this: http://cvs.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/690

Thanks for the feedback!