raw foregin imports - new backend for jhc: ghc

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Dec 4 07:25:21 EST 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:55:26AM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> Can you explain what you are doing that makes Integer get flattened,
> please?

oh, I meant that was a limitation of my backend, not ghc. jhc has
primitive types for all possible c types, like uint32_t and uint16_t etc
are distinct unboxed types. ghc seems to work mostly by boxing Int# and
doing the appropriate bit narrowing in the library.

My current solution is just to map all primitive types to Int#. even
though it gives incorrect results it seems to work well enough for
testing the back end. I am not sure what my long term solution will be,
probably to auto-generate some ghc code to simulate all the appropriate
primitives the jhc front end expects to exist.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈