raw foregin imports - new backend for jhc: ghc

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Dec 4 06:55:26 EST 2006

Hi John,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 08:26:34PM -0800, John Meacham wrote:

> At the moment, I don't think I need anything, I was just misreading
> certain features. the ghc backend seems to be working fine with the
> following caveats:
>
> * all integral types (even Integer) are flattened to Int#.

I'm not sure I follow this - if I do

    foreign import ccall "static foo.h foo" foo :: Integer -> Integer

then GHC tells me

    Unacceptable argument type in foreign declaration: Integer
    Unacceptable result type in foreign declaration: Integer

Can you explain what you are doing that makes Integer get flattened,
please?

> * ghc -O on my generated programs crashes with the following:
>
> ghc-6.6: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
>   (GHC version 6.6 for i386-unknown-linux):
>         primRepHint:VoidRep

Another bug, thanks!

Again, this isn't something we claim should work, but it should
definitely either work or give a nice error message.

I've filed it in trac: #1037.

Thanks
Ian