Replacement for GMP: Update

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Aug 11 14:09:29 EDT 2006

* Peter Tanski:

> On the other hand, the OpenSSL FAQ at <http://www.openssl.org/support/
> faq.html#LEGAL2> mentions that some "GPL" programs do not allow
> binary combination (static linking) or interoperation (dynamic
> linking) with OpenSSL.  Honestly I have not seen any "GPL" licenses
> like this.  The GNU GPL version 2, at <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
> gpl.html>, does not mention OpenSSL, nor does version 1, nor does the
> GNU LGPL, at <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html>.

This is the offending part:

 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *    "This product includes cryptographic software written by
 *     Eric Young (eay at cryptsoft.com)"
 *    The word 'cryptographic' can be left out if the rouines from the library
 *    being used are not cryptographic related :-).

It's generally believed that this is a further restriction in the
sense of section 6 of the GPL (version 2).

> In any case, I think it would be more of a restriction to someone
> *using* the OpenSSL program, not a developer.

It's a problem for a developer who wants to use a GPLed library
written by someone else, too.