Replacement for GMP: Update

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 07:49:27 EDT 2006

Einar Karttunen wrote:
> On 10.08 11:16, Peter Tanski wrote:
>
>>Paragraph 6 of the OpenSSL (1998-2005) license states that:
>>
>> * 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
>>*    acknowledgment:
>>*    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
>>*    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org/)".
>>
>>All developers would have to do is include the acknowledgment stated
>>above.
>

> I think this is not bad for specific applications, but forcing this
> upon all code compiled by GHC would be bad. I think the compiler
> should not link applications by default to things that force
> license related things.

Most packages (including the base package) already force you to do
license-related things when you distribute binaries:

- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
   and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

The OpenSSL license is no worse in this respect.